In my opinion one of the greatest advertising campaigns of all time was the AT&T Reach Out And Touch Someone campaign launched in 1979. The purpose of this campaign was to encourage people to make more long distance calls. Today, I use this slogan in reference to encourage business owners to reach out and touch their present customer base more often. And there is no better time to reconnect with your loyal customers and show them a little love than to begin a new year.
Your present client base are those that already know, like and trust you (hopefully) and represents an opportunity for you to continue to build loyalty and also help them in a meaningful way. But, here’s the challenge most business owners have; they don’t know what to do or say to their customers once they sold them the initial product or service.
So, here are some suggestions for what your continued loyalty-building communications (touches) should say and in what format:
- Thank you for your business touch – provide an incentive for them to visit your store or use your services by offering special pricing.
- Announcing new product or services - make sure your client base knows of “new happenings” in your business.
- Reinforcing your service offerings and products – many of your current customers may not be aware of the breadth of your product or services. It is a good idea to remind them of the things you do at least once a year.
- Educating your customers about what they need to know – This should be not only about your company, but the industry in general. Positioning yourself as the industry expert will go a long way in keeping your customers loyal to your business.
- Educating them about other strategic partners that you would recommend - be careful with this one. Only recommend those businesses that you have personally tried and have had a positive experience with.
When deciding how to best deliver your messages, I would suggest a combination of direct first class mail and some e-mails. Direct mail is still, in my opinion, the best way to communicate with your present customer base. Newsletter campaigns work well as long as you have something of value to say and blogs are a good choice as well.
Make the commitment and take action today to reach out and touch someone, namely your present customers and clients.
To your marketing success,